Wednesday, January 23, 2008

just work stuff

I am suposed to be just a construction worker. I get a set of prints, go to a job, build something, deal with some problems, and go home, right? No, not even close.

Just as an example, today I had to literally push the guys out of the truck because of the cold temperatures, babysit a 46 year old who has 6 years of "experience," work with poorly drafted prints, which numerous phone calls were made about, and deal with a job superitendent who has an ego problem.

We started setting our precast plank on an i-beam which I suspected was too weak for the weight we were applying. The i-beam started to sag just a little so I stopped setting the plank. I approached the superintendent with the issue and he asked me how much it was sagging. When I told him that it was dipping 1/2 an inch, he asked me, "So, what's your problem?" Anything that is holding a load must retain a camber or at least remain flat. He told me that it was not an issue that I needed to be concerned with, that the i-beam had been engineered and met structural specifications. I knew that I was right, but I called my company's engineer and gave him the dimentions of the ibeam and told him the problem to which he reiterated the fact that it was unacceptable. After and hour and a half of arguing, being called a sissy, and told (in so many words) that my crew was just looking for a reason to get out of the cold, we packed up and left.

A catch like that will literally save lives and it burns me that someone like him is willing to overlook a major problem and get by easy.
That is part of my job desscription. I could go deeper into it but I cant type

No comments: